Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Worship Him Right There...

I was pondering this thought today while coming home from work...Often, I have this idea that I need to go and "spend time" with God, failing to acknowledge that He is right there with me already...

I think to myself while getting off the bus and walking home...."Ok, what activity is next? I need to go spend time with God..." It is funny because I think God is most likely saying "I'm already here with you, next to you, inside you....you can spend time with me NOW...you don't have to wait to experience me!"

I have often felt the refreshing experience of the revitalization of my soul just by reflecting on God in a busy bus ride. The power of God is immense, as when we simply meditate on him we are changed.

For many of us, including myself, spending time with God is an activity that we put into a box, it is a niche of time that we carve out for ourselves. While I think that it is important to have a set, prescribed time in which we distinctly venerate the Lord (especially in the midst of busy schedules), I think that an over-concentration on this mindset can contribute to failing to acknowledge Him in everything that one does. It can promote the stark contrast between experiencing lofty, high thoughts during the moments that we spend time with Him, and then thoughts riddled with sinful attitudes seconds afterwards.

Worshiping God "in spirit" means acknowledging his omnipresence!

Jeremiah 23:24 "Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord."   

For those of us who have accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, the Spirit of God is even inside of us.

1 John 4:13 "This is how we know that we live in him and he in us. He has given us of his spirit"

Perhaps we allow the flesh to prevent us from experiencing God in more places than our Bibles. If the Lord "fill[s] heaven and earth" (Jeremiah 23:24) and holds all things together (Colossians 1:17), then we should be seeing God everywhere and in everything. What can hide from his presence? Has the flesh blinded us from seeing or have we allowed our fickle minds to prevent us from being still, seeing the God in everything?

Everyday we walk out of our houses to go to work, school, etc, and we fail to see God in the startling immensity of creation. The lush, towering trees, the death hard concrete, somber clouds ripping forth rain, the living breathing spirit inside of your neighbor - is God ever far from us?

No comments:

Post a Comment